Saturday, October 23, 2010

Review...The Ghost Hunter by Lori Brighton

There a few things in life that I've always wanted to do. I love old houses...discovering nooks and crannies, those hidden treasures left behind just waiting to be discovered. Old houses/buildings that have a history. (I am also addicted to HGTV...just sayin.) So when I was approached to check out The Ghost Hunter by Lori Brighton, little did I know I would get a small taste of that dream. And of course, one of the best parts of creaky dust covered architecture is the mystery and dark nights filled with spooky sounds that go bump in the night.
For a quick refresher, click here!

And the sexy angel with the drool worthy accent didn't hurt, either.

Usually, I enjoy reading my books solid form in my hands. It's comfortable, totable, and I've often mentioned this fact here. But, things aren't always the way we want (or I'd have all day to play with the wet tennis ball my pup loves so much...while watching commercial free episodes of my favorite eye candy). And this isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are times when working harder for something makes it all worth while. And so, I gladly battled dry eyes, impossible schedules, and a persistent golden retriever who became quite petulant.

Lori Brighton has managed to take a story about ghosts, angels and demons and make it into something I literally didn't want to put down. Or shut my laptop? Anyway...

Ashley is searching for answers, from the mystery of her father's disappearance. to answers about her own life. Denying who she really is and can do for most of her life because everyone thought she was crazy, she had settled for a normal life with her fiance. Until fate offered up the opportunity to escape it all...to Scotland. (At first, I wasn't exactly sure where, but the hints dropped subtly by the author not only allowed me to settle in just as Ashley did but built the world in a believable way.) From the first moment she arrives and meets with the estate agent (ugh, I abhor fake lipstick!) to the first steps into the pub, Ashley senses something different about the place, but pushes it away in attempt to be "normal". Desperate for answers, she holds on to her new home, refusing an offer from a devastatingly dark and handsome stranger, Cristian, who seems undeterred by her refusal to sell. Persistence in its finest smoldering form, if I do say so myself!

This relationship has the perfect amount of heated irritation and subtle denial that builds and battles in the best possible way.

At the pub (which is more of an inn), Ashley has a few unexpected guests...a group of ghosts who reside in her new home. At first she ignores them, but Maggie is a spunky and relentless lil ghost, and eventually they become a part of her oddly formed family. All until Cristian shows up to rent a room...and is suddenly everywhere, especially underneath her skin.

Just as she admits to herself that she (and she alone) can see and communicate with her new friends, they begin to disappear. Could Cristian have anything to do with the sudden absence of her new friends? And what's with the sword (which I've always loved...along with the muscles needed to wield them, of course!)...and the strange tattoo (love!)? And the big question, what does he know about her father's disappearance?

(I hate spoilers, so I won't give away much more...and I hope it leaves you wanting more!!) Needless to say, ghosts, angels, demons...with a few vampires and werewolves thrown in.

Not to say that Lori Brighton is a "new" author, but there are times when you can just tell. This is most definitely not one of those. The perfect amount of smolder (oh, Cristian...and Devon...and Cristian), wit (hello, a Justice League reference...love!), and storytelling. Oh, and the steamy yumminess? Let's just say, humidity is welcome...

I have just one word....FANFREAKINGTASTIC!

You can find out more about Lori and her books here...

(The Ghost Hunter was provided by author for review!)




1 comment:

It gets lonely, so feel free to let me know you stopped by!