Friday, January 13, 2012

Book Review....Kitten-Tiger and the Monk by Carolyn Crane

From Amazon.com (novella from Wild & Steamy):
Sophia Sidway, Mid-City's most dangerous memory revisionist, seek out the mysterious Monk in the wasteland beneath the Tangle turnpike, hoping for redemption...but it turns out that the Monk is not all pious, and the turnpike is not a turnpike at all.
I've been a fan of the Disillusionists Trilogy from the very first words I read (of course, I was introduced to the series by some of my favorite book bloggers) and still can recall to this day the exact moment I yelled and raised my hands .in frustration (the good kind, I think) at the end of Mind Games (book two). I tend to enjoy books I yell at. Come to think of it, I may have yelled at this series more than once...
When I ran across Tiger-Kitten and the Monk, the title threw me off. Shrug. Because I needed it. This may seem a little odd...to NEED. But you didn't hear me ranting after I finished the Double Cross. Just saying.
Tiger-Kitten and the Monk is a short little treat that gives us more insight not only into Mid-City, but the characters we've come to love to hate to love, as well as the Tangle. (Honestly, I still have no idea what exactly it looks like. Even with the insight Sophia lends at the end. Spoilery-ish.)
Entertaining if not too short, the novella focuses around Sophia, the minion (if you will) of Otto Sanchez and the memory revisionist I like most like to yell at. Sophia is seeking out the Monk, the one disillusionist no one knows the identity of (save Packard) who is the ultimate in disillusioning. The end all and be all. And Sophia is tired and done with hurting others as well as herself. Too bad the Tangle (er, road) leads to the one man she most and least would want to see. And maybe she'll get a little more than she bargained for.
Until you may want to rant a little once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It gets lonely, so feel free to let me know you stopped by!