Saturday, December 15, 2012

New Review: TBR A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang

From Amazon.com:

The man of her dreams might be the cause of her nightmares. Six months ago, Abby Sinclair was struggling to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Now, she has an enchanted iPod, a miniature unicorn living in her underwear drawer, and a magical marketplace to manage. But despite her growing knowledge of the OtherWorld, Abby isn’t at all prepared for Brystion, the dark, mysterious, and sexy-as- sin incubus searching for his sister, convinced Abby has the key to the succubus’s whereabouts. Abby has enough problems without having this seductive shape-shifter literally invade her dreams to get information. But when her Faery boss and some of her friends vanish, as well, Abby and Brystion must form an uneasy alliance. As she is sucked deeper and deeper into this perilous world of faeries, angels, and daemons, Abby realizes her life is in as much danger as her heart—and there’s no one she can trust to save her.
There is a pile, that is actually a pretty impressively large pink and orange box, filled with a lonely pile of TBR's.  The dreaded To Be Read Pile.  Innocently enough, this pile began as a place to gather the books lovingly purchased at a local bookstore's closing.  Then, as these things often do, it took on a life of it's own.  A sad almost Island of Forgotten Toys kind life.  New inhabitants arrived sometimes daily.

This is where A Brush of Darkness ended up.  It had always been on my radar.  I love a good cover, and when this book originally had it's book birthday, there was a bit of buzz about the outrageous (cover your eyes for heaven's sake!! *sarcasm*) outfit the main character, Abby had on.  This amused me, and had to check it out to see what the fuss was all about. 

The story piqued my interest, and became a line on my must read list.  Which lead to, unfortunately, a trip to the TBR pile.  (Cue the dreaded music!)

Fast forward to last week.  Stuck in my book slump, feeling simply annoyed with the few I had close by, I ventured towards that poor pile of lonely books.  And there it was.

Two days later (give me a break here, my one year old likes Goodnight Goon and Where's Baby's Christmas Present right now!!), I became blissfully recharged in my reading vacation status.

Rarely do I actually read almost every single word of the book I'm currently reading.  But, I devoured Abby's story like it was my favorite pretzel covered in dark chocolate covered with M&M's with a side of Dr. Pepper.

My, oh my...from the moment Brystion walks into Abby's life (she also better hide that enchanted iPod from me.  Just sayin.), the smolder and shivering made it almost impossible to put A Brush of Darkness down.  Add to that a missing Protectorate, a horny lil unicorn, an overprotective angel, and a host of OtherWorld drama that somehow manages to build a world without having to over explain every single detail and you have the perfect solution to a book slump.

And the steamy?  Sigh.  Sexual tension is one thing, but this is tangible run your fingers all over and enjoy every single secong "no regrets" that never seems to end.

The best part of waitng so long to get on board?  The next two books are already out.

Oh, yeah....

Check out the In The Dreaming website for more info...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It gets lonely, so feel free to let me know you stopped by!