Friday, August 27, 2010

New Review...Night Myst By Yasmine Galenorn





From Amazon.com:


Eons ago, vampires tried to turn the Dark Fae in order to harness their magic, only to create a demonic enemy more powerful than they imagined. Now Myst, the Vampiric Fae Queen of the Indigo Court, has enough power to begin a long prophesied supernatural war. And Cicely Waters, a witch who can control the wind, may be the only one who can stop her-and save her beloved Fae prince from the Queen's enslavement.



Once, when I was a little girl, I dreamed of Fairies. Not the Tinkerbell Disney kind, either. Oh, sure, there may have been one or two flitting about in the background, but most of the fair folk I dreamed off were, well, lets just say my mother would have been a little worried about me. (As in, scary...and I wasn't really scared.) These weren't nightmares...


Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I have a few of Yasmine Galenorn's books that I've gathered (in an attempt to actually read in order...I know, I'm learning!). Serious face here, I actually made a silly kinda squeaking sort of noise when I found a NEW series. Luckily, there were no other people around to witness my moment of silliness (except for you, now!).


A rare event occurred. Ever pick up a book, get so involved...suddenly find yourself a mere chapter or two from the end - then, for some reason, want to stop? Not because you are bored or lost interest in the characters, but because you find yourself not wanting it to end? Yep. That's what happened to me. I almost pouted.

Cisely grew up mostly jumping from place to place with her mother, who ran away from not only who she was, but who her daughter is and would be. A wind witch who taught herself most of what she knows (with just a bit more than a little street smarts) who only knows little more than what a childhood companion, who grew into more, taught her, Cisely now finds herself going back to the home her mother tried to keep her from. And to all the sudden strangeness she has inherited.

People are suddenly disappearing from town, and no one seems to want to do anything about it. Members of the Society and magic-born gone without a trace. Even the vampires of the Crimson Court seem to have no real grasp on the situation. (Which, as Vampires, naturally does not sit well, so scheming ensues.) There are whispers in the air of a new threat, and the woods outside her cousins home may not be the same place she explored when she was young. In fact, there are things out there that do really go bump in the night.

Once, the Fae Grieve and Chatter were childhood playmates to Cisely and her cousin Rhiannon. As they grew up, Grieve became so much more to her. But, now, it seems Grieve may not be the same fey she fell for and left all those years ago. Her prince may have gone through a few changes himself. The court of Rivers and Rush has had a few changes...in the form of the Indigo Court and its Vampiric Fae Queen.

World building is a crucial component in any story. In this case, while there is a bit that the author assumes the reader already has the gist of, the reveals that are crucial aren't dumbed down. Thanks for not treating your readers like they are reading a Fey For Dummies Book, Yasmine Galenorn. (But, just to warn you, there are a few times when some info is repeated...but more in the way you would go over facts in your own mind.) I enjoyed the small details here and there that added a richness and layering to my reading.

Oh, and if you are interested in some smoldering hotness (I mean, HELLO, Vampire and Fairy?) I think this may give you what you're looking for. Tension, smolder (love smolder!), and just enough of all the rest.

The only con, here...I have to wait far too long to see what happens next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It gets lonely, so feel free to let me know you stopped by!